Fox Sports is the brand name for a number of sports channels, broadcast divisions, programming, and other media around the world that are either controlled or partially owned by the family of Rupert Murdoch. These assets are held mainly by 21st Century Fox, with the exception of the operations in Australia, which are part of News Corp Australia. (21st Century Fox and News Corp are the two companies resulting from the breakup of the larger News Corporation in mid-2013; the Murdoch family retains voting control of both entities.)
The name originates from the Fox Broadcasting Company in the United States, which in turn was derived from the name of the Fox Film Corporation (later 20th Century Fox). The Fox Sports name has since been used in 21st Century Fox’s and News Corp’s other sports media assets around the world.
Channels and divisions
- Fox Sports International, an international sports programming and production entity of the Fox International Channels Group, which distributes sports programming to various countries.
- Fox Sports Latinoamérica, is a Spanish cable television network broadcasting to various Latin American countries.
- Fox Sports Chile (Before Fox Sports Basico)
- Fox Sports Asia, a sports channel for Asian viewers, was launched in 2013, replacing ESPN Asia.
- Fox Sports 2 Asia was launched in 2014, replacing STAR Sports.
- Fox Sports 3 Asia also was launched in 2014, replacing Fox Sports Plus HD Asia.
- Fox Sports Pty Limited, formerly Premier Media Group, owned by News Corp Australia
- Fox Sports Brazil is a Brazilian sports channel launched on February 5, 2012.
- Fox Sports 2 (Brazil)
- Fox Sports World Canada, a specialty channel primarily featuring soccer and other events around the world that operated from 2001 to 2012.
- Fox owned 20 percent of Sportsnet before selling it to Rogers Communications in 2004.
- Fox Sports Chile, a specialty channel primarily featuring soccer and start broadcasting on November 11, 2013 and in May 4, 2015 is replaced by the channel Fox Sports 1.
- Fox Sports Italy is an Italian sports channel launched in 2013 alongside Fox Sports Plus and Fox Sports 2, which carries MLB, NFL, NCAA Sports, Volley Champions League and Euroleague Basketball.
- Fox Sports Japan began producing sports shows in 2013, which are broadcast in several Fox channels.
- Fox Sports (Netherlands), a group of sports channels owned by Eredivisie Media & Marketing which for 51% is owned by Fox International Channels Benelux.
- Fox Sports, sports division of the Fox Broadcasting Company television network. The first “Fox Sports”.
- Fox Sports 1 is a national sports network.
- Fox Sports 2 is a national sports network.
- Fox Sports Radio is a national sports talk radio network managed by Premiere Networks in partnership with Fox Sports
- Fox College Sports is a suite of three region-specific networks devoted to college sports.
- Fox Deportes presents sports programming in Spanish.
- Fox Soccer Plus, a network with extended coverage of soccer and other international sport events; remains in operation despite closure of Fox Soccer
- Fox Sports Networks is a collection of cable TV regional sports networks broadcasting across the United States. These regional channels include:
- Fox Sports Türkiye is a sports channel that was distributed by the Turkish provider Digiturk.
News Corporation (and subsequently 21st Century Fox) has also used the Fox Sports name in its other sports media assets. Foxsports.com, a website operated by Fox Sports Digital Media, provides sports news online. The Fox Sports College Hoops ’99 basketball video game is published by their Fox Interactive division.